Tuesday 28 February 2017

Small steps

I like driving in my car, it's not quite a jaguar


So this last week a couple of small things have happened which have made me feel a bit more independent and 'relatively' normal again...

Work


It was only by an extra hour and a half but I increased my time at work yesterday.  I'm seeing how I go and will hopefully build up to my contracted hours slowly.

Work have been totally great, understanding and patient with me (thank goodness) and have let me work at my own pace.  As my pain is more manageable, I am able to sit at my desk for longer.   I'm wondering if I'll get to a point where I cycle to work again as I miss that....it's a great bit of exercise, 7 miles a day (and uphill on the way home).

I'm still not that comfortable thinking about doing cardio exercise, but what I need to do is try small bits and see how I get on.  Saying that, we had some new dance moves to one of our choir songs last night and I tried to go for it - it was ok, but I did have some pain (darn it).  I am a right disco diva so to not be able to dance is hard for me.

Beep, beep


I also drove for the first time in two months this weekend....whoop.... Well, I did once I'd sorted out my car, which was totally flat (not even the central locking would work to let me in).  Green Flag diagnosed my 'Mega Fuse' had blown!  Tell me about it (in life, as in my car!).  Thankfully, it only cost £5.50 for a new one. Phew.

I had to give the car a bit of a drive as the battery was totes flat so Timmy and I went to Waitrose in Droitwich - I dropped him off to fetch a few bits for our Chinese Eve on Saturday with the Worc crew and I drove up the A38 to charge it up.  It's generally ok, but my chest hurts when I put it in fifth gear (as it needs a bit of a push to get it there in my eight year old Volvo) so I'll stick to fourth unless absolutely necessary.  It did feel good being behind the wheel again though.

Fundraising


Susie and I have also started discussing our next couple of fundraising events and it's good to have something to focus on.  Suze has agreed to take more of the reins this time as my spreadsheeting got a bit too much in the run up to the SnowBall last December #excelbore

In other news....


I'm really chuffed that I've got no bruises from my monthly injections this time. Mind you, I still have the marks where the significant bruises from the first monthly jabs were.  The nurse was a lot slower in administering the drugs so I think that helped.

What I'm not raving about however are my hot flushes!  Crikey o' reilly - they seem a lot worse than last time.  They are still really impacting on my sleep.  As someone who's generally a pretty good sleeper, I'm finding the disturbed nights hard to deal with.  I'm sympathising with parents right now!! My friend Corinna calls them power surges, in which case, I am definitely She-Ra the Princess of Power at the moment!!

The Princess of Power (Surges?)


So lent begins tomorrow.... Now, I normally give up crisps and all snack based crispy items (e.g twiglets, poppadoms etc) for 40 days and 40 nights. Even thought I'm not religious, it's because crisps are my absolute downfall (especially salt and vinegar), I eat sooooo many of them, so to prove to myself I can go without them, I usually give them up for lent.  But this year, guess what, that can jog right on!  It's crisp-tastic time in the Butler household throughout lent as far as I'm concerned!

My favourite....just saying!


Oh!


Something I forgot to mention. Last week I got in touch with my breast consultant.  I'd completely forgotten to ask my oncologist (even though it was on my pre-prepared question list), but I wasn't sure if I needed to be worried about developing any primary cancers now that I'm in secondary territory.  So I asked the question and, quite rightly, he said 'Kate, I'm a breast consultant, of course I'm going to tell you to continue to be breast aware'.  Although he said that it is unlikely to happen, there is still a possibility so, as I said to him, it'll be back to the monthly shower boob check then! I thought I might have got rid of that.  While I mention it, have you checked yours recently?? Women AND men.  If not, promise me you'll do it as soon as poss!!  Here's what you're looking for....


The best way to do it is with the flatness of your fingers, rather than prodding yourself.  Get right in there!

And, changing the subject, I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know that I've checked with the laser hair clinic and they've spoken to the Dr associated with the clinic and they've said I'm ok to continue with my armpit hair treatment!  I bet that's a relief to you all.

Did I mention that we've booked to go to Espana at the end of March??? Ohhhhh yes! Get in.

Until next time, adios amigos. xx

7 comments:

  1. Hey, there's nothing wrong with excel bores. I've learnt sumifs and countifs (different to sumif and countif) this week and I'm very proud of myself. #nerd

    Can't believe you're not giving up crisps this year?! I'm giving chocolate a go. Eeeeek! I'd struggle with crisps.

    I am also She-Ra but not so much these days. Personal summer/power surge/granny etc... annoying. But, they don't last forever and think of that small silver lining!

    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....I might try and reduce the crisps during lent, but I'm not guaranteeing anything! Good luck with the chocolate - I'll remember not to offer you any when you come over!! xxx

      Delete
  2. Gave it a thought to giving up fizz but thought f*** it, life's too short!!! Cheers girls xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave it a small thought too, but thought chocolate would be easier. ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, I'm not giving up anything, although getting rid of the hot flushes wouldn't be bad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just read on the BBC website that the PM's favourite flavour of crisps is salt and vinegar and she is giving them up for Lent, so I reckon that you should tell everybody that you got her to do it for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might just do that!! hehehe. xx

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.