Friday 29 December 2017

Anniversary

29 December 2017

On this day 12 months ago, I was interviewed by BBC Hereford and Worcester for a 2016 round up about the Breast Unit and it finally opening its doors to patients.

On this day 12 months ago, Scarlett, my beautiful niece, turned 10.

On this day 12 months ago, I received a phone call just after 6pm from my consultant telling me my cancer had returned.

Today, I am travelling with the love of my life on a trip I've always wanted to take to Cambodia and Thailand.
Champagne in the Etihad business class lounge (yep, that's right,  we're flying business class courtesy of June Wilcox (love you mum)). xx

What a difference 12 months' makes!!


The latter part of this year has been quite difficult emotionally as I've gone through all the 'one year anniversary' stages and they've reminded me of 'back then' when I was in ignorant bliss of my current situation... When the pain started; when I told my consultant about it at the SnowBall; when I went for scans; the choir social that I couldn't join in because of the pain; singouts that I couldn't join in because of the pain; work Christmas party that I couldn't fully enjoy as I'd been put on anti-depressants as the hospital thought the pain was stress related....some of these may sound quite trivial, but these last three months I've been thinking about this a lot.  So today marks the last day of that anniversary.  The day of diagnosis.

Taking stock


So I'm taking stock of everything that I've done over the last 12 months - which has been extraordinary for so many reasons.

More charity fundraising for the Worcestershire Breast Unit Haven; more holidays; getting our lovely dog Rocco who has been so therapeutic in more ways than one; more enduring hospital appointments/scans/injections/blood tests/tablets/anxiety; more difficulty at seeing those who have had another year clear of cancer as I will never be able to have that again; more fatigue; more pain in my joints; the official opening of the Breast Unit and meeting the Countess of Wessex; singing in front of over 2000 people at the Symphony Hall; helping to raise over £350,000 as part of Breast Cancer Care's flagship Show event; putting on a stone in weight (sigh); meeting one of my idols, the beautiful Lisa Eldridge (and her fab assistant Jessie)......

As you can tell, it's been awesome and very hard at the same time, but I'm so glad I've had another year of life granted to me... Although there is part of me that thinks, 'crikey, that year has gone so quickly and I know I won't be granted loads more so that's one year out of my remaining entitlement that's flown by'.... but I can't dwell on thoughts like that and just look at the present, how I'm feeling now and also the fun things I've already got planned for 2018.... Two weddings, a trip to the States, the Snow Ball 3.....

So here's to you all as we close out 2017.  I'll be in Thailand on New Year's Eve so hope you have a good one.

Be thankful for all that you have. If you're unhappy with an aspect of your life, then change it....

Thank you for following me this year....long may it continue.

Health and happiness.  Much love, Kate. xx


3 comments:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.