Sunday 12 August 2018

Hot fuzz

What a nerve


Thought I'd give you guys a bit of an update on what's happening in case you don't follow Breast Unit Events on Facebook or Twitter.

Last week's chemo was cancelled not long after I arrived at Rowan Suite with Susie (in matching t-shirts and Minnie Mouse ears that she'd bought. Oh, what's occurring?? ...totally ace). 
Oh!

Ready to go?

Er, no #chemoiscancelled

As normal I was asked by the chemo nurse about my side effects in the past week and I mentioned my fingers.  For the last few weeks they have been hurting (like I've had my fingers trapped in a door) and also a cross between pins and needles and numbness.  My nail beds have risen and my nails are turning a black colour. NICE.

I mentioned it last week but they didn't really pay much attention to it. Anyway, this week's nurse wanted to run it by the oncologist who was at the suite that day, just to check it.  She called him and popped back over. She said they had suggested that chemo is cancelled for the week because there is the possibility of permanent nerve damage.  I was warned that I could get neuropathy (nerve problems) but I hadn't been told that it could be permanent!!  Bizarrely it was due to be chemo 13 as well, unlucky for me!  The nurse also booked me an appointment with my oncologist, Dr A, to discuss it in more detail.

At first I was disappointed I couldn't go ahead with the treatment, but then I thought, 'well I certainly don't want to have permanent damage'. Tim and I are also coming to realise that planning anything going forward is going to be very difficult as I just don't know how I'm going to be and what treatment is or isn't going to be happening.

In all fairness, it was almost 'good timing' that I had that week off chemo as the weekend was full on (see 'Into the Wilderness' below) and then this week we've had Scarlett down for a few days, the beer festival and the Worcester Show so I've needed as much energy as possible!!
Out for dinner with Scarlett

and Juney and Gords (and Tim who is out of shot)

Walking the dawg

Awwww


One of the only pics of the beer festival, late on, in the music tent!!
Watching my choir, Got2Sing at the Worcester Show (I even nipped into the back row to sing a couple of songs)

Rainy Worcester Show

Tim and I went to see Dr A last Monday and we discussed my fingers. 

He said 'with 'palliative' chemotherapy it is about quality of life, and if it is impacting on your quality of life then we may either reduce the dose or stop the chemo altogether'!!  I was a bit shocked at this, and wasn't expecting it.  Firstly, when he used the word 'palliative'....it was awful.  I mean, I'm not stupid, I know the treatment I'm having is no longer trying to keep cancer from coming back but is a means of keeping me alive as long as possible, but when people use such words, it really hits home.

Secondly I was surprised that I may not finish the course of chemo.  I've had these 18 sessions stuck in my head and have been facing them with gusto and wanting to plough through them and get them done and under my belt, but, understandably if the chemo is going to mean permanent damage, then I really do need to balance the risks and benefits of the treatment.  Jeez. 

I think because I completed my previous chemotherapy ten years ago (despite it being total pants), I feel I will be letting myself down if I don't finish this course, especially as know it has started to shrink the tumours somewhat.

So I'm feeling a bit shit about all that. 

We agreed that I would have another two weeks off and will see him after that to see if my fingers (and toes, which are numb) have improved.  I did ask Sue (my bc nurse) later on whether other people haven't finished their full course of paclitaxel, and she said 'yes, quite a few'.  Also I've had no break at all whereas many women have three weeks on and one week off, so I should probably cut myself some slack and realise I've done really well to get 12 done in a row.

Giving cancer the chemo finger!

While we were at the appointment there were a couple of other things I asked him about as well. 

I wondered if I needed mammograms anymore.  He said no as I'm having regular CT scans and they would pick up any new potential breast tumours, which, bizarrely means that I will no longer have a reason to the Breast Unit that I have raised so much money for.  Although saying that I am hoping to make use of the complementary therapies on offer which are funded by the money Susie and I now raise (along with everyone else who raises funds for the Unit).

Also the chemo nurses have told me that my ALT levels (which are a liver enzyme) have been rising again.  This is worrying me.  I mention it.  Dr A says 'let me worry about that' and no more was said, so who knows what that means...probably that we'll do something about it when it's getting 'too high'...all I know is that it's rising.  This cancer shizzle messes with your head I can tell you!!!

I've now got an appointment to see Dr A again in w/c 20 August.  That was my original 'week off' chemo that we'd previously talked about and when Tim and I were planning to go away.  It's a good job we didn't book anything that we couldn't cancel.  The good news is, we had booked something, where we could change the dates. We are staying at a friend's house down by coast so we'll be able to go away for a few days after all. Yay.

Into the Wilderness


When I say last weekend was full on, I mean it was festival time. 

Tim and I had seen that Chic were playing at Wilderness Festival in Charlbury, Oxford.  We love Chic and Nile Rodgers.  We saw them for the first time at the Moseley Soul, Funk and Jazz festival about four years ago and were really keen to see them again.

I contacted Wilderness Festival to see if they offered day tickets as I knew I wouldn't be able to manage a whole weekend.

They said they didn't but as a special exception to me they would grant me a day ticket so that I didn't miss out and Timmy could come for free as my carer.  Yay.

We took a LOT of hand gel, wipes, tissues etc.  Need to be careful with infection while on chemo, especially with festival toilets!! hehehehe.  (Although, saying that, all the toilets were really clean!)

Anyway, what a totally fab day.  The sun was scorching and I was covered in Factor 50. 
Beer

Taking in some shade


This guy was brilliant

The one and only


Some rock and roll

Stag


We had trouble finding the Accessibility car park etc at first as no one seemed to know where it was...but eventually we were sorted, got our wrist bands and headed into the festival.

Crikey, it was probably the most middle class festival I've been to, but that made it even nicer.  There were no groups of 16 years olds getting off their tits on drugs and booze and walking around vomming everywhere (which I've seen at festivals before...nice).  It just had a really nice atmosphere and the emphasis wasn't just on the music but everything else they had to offer, which was loads.  Including some wonderful food - I mean, even Ottelenghi had his own tent.  And Benedict Cumberbatch and Olivia Colman were there in the 'Books' tent. (I didn't seem them BTW as they were there on Friday and we were there on the Saturday, but we did walk straight past Jo Whiley).

Just before Chic



We saw some great music, including a guy called Matt Woods, who had an amazing falsetto.  But apart from Chic, the highlight had to be me performing in front of 1000s at the hip hop karaoke.  Most people who follow Breast Unit Events will already know this!!

When Tim and I lived in London over ten years ago, we went to the hip hop karaoke night a couple of times, but were never brave enough to have a go ourselves.  Then, about four years ago, I was on a night out with Tim and our friend Nick in Birmingham and we saw a flyer in a pub saying that hip hop karaoke was on tour for one night at the Custard Factory.  We headed over there.  It was pretty quiet, only about 30 people, so I thought it was my chance and put my name down to have a go.  I did, and really enjoyed it (you can see that performance here). 

So when I saw the h-h karaoke was going to be at Wilderness, I thought I might have some of that.  They were on between 6.45-8pm, so when Tim and I finished watching one band, we headed over to the Atrium stage and there was a small queue at one end of people signing up, so I headed straight over there and I didn't have time to chicken out.

Some of the people who got on stage were absolutely phenomenal, no lyrics and rapping like maniacs, then it was my turn.....  I'd had such a dry mouth beforehand, but I thought 'who cares..... And it was amazing.  The smiles on peoples faces and looking out to an immense crowd in the heat of the early evening during a British summer heatwave is something I will never forget.  Sooooooo much fun. So glad I did it and so glad that Tim filmed it.  You can watch in on YouTube by clicking on here. Enjoy!!  I did!!  I should also mention that I was sober.  I'd only had one pint.  That girl's got guts I can tell you!!
Getting ready for hip hop karaoke

Done it...coming off stage

Some other hip hop performers...too cute.

Fuzz away

This week I have also asked my hairdresser, Claire, to shave my head again.  It had started growing and some of it was quite long but it was very patchy and most of it was grey/silver and it really made me look like a cancer patient, so I decided to go smooth again and I feel much more confident with it now.


Right, I've rambled on enough so that's it for now folks.

Hope you're well well.

Much love. xx






1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I was just randomly browsing the internet when I stumbled across your blog and I just wanted to tell you that I really and truly wish you happiness no matter what happens. You are a good human being, Kate.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.