Friday 6 January 2017

Hello 2017

31 December 2016

New Years Eve..... 

We continue telling people and making phone calls.

I make a decision to start a blog tomorrow (er, obvs).  I've, understandably, had a lot of questions from people and there will be things that people (thankfully) don't understand so writing it down is the best way for me to 'get it straight' in my own mind and also to keep people informed without going over the same thing.

Today is the day I also go public to our Breast Unit Events supporters on Facebook and Twitter.  Susie and I set up Breast Unit Events in 2014 to give some focus to our fundraising for the Worcestershire Breast Unit.  In early 2016, once the Breast Unit opened, the new Worcestershire Breast Unit Haven charity was set up to continue to improve the Unit and to make it a Centre of Excellence and so our fundraising continues.

The outpouring of love, support and offers of help from people I know, and also people I don't, has been staggering and, for which, I am very grateful.

I receive a message from dad this morning: 'Do you mind if we go to Cornwall?' 

Right, so there is some context required here:  Mum and dad were due to go to Cornwall on 30 December with their friends for New Year, but dad hadn't been well on 28 Dec, so after I told them my news on 29 Dec they (as you know) were devastated and said they wouldn't and couldn't go away. However, they already knew that Timmy and I were going out to Susie's for a 1980s themed party and had seen I wasn't going to stop enjoying myself at the mo, so hence the message as they knew there was nothing they could really do by stopping at home.

My response: 'No, of course not, go and enjoy yourselves' (i.e. bugger off and go and enjoy yourselves....no point moping around at home!! hahaha).

I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this is for them though and they are being super protective. Tim has said that he doesn't like to leave me out of his sight at the moment, and they are probably the same.

Mum called nan (who's 92) to tell her they were going to Cornwall and so she wouldn't be visiting for a few days (nan lives in Kempsey, about 10 miles away).  Mum and dad had been over to nan's the day before to tell her the news about me.  Naturally she got upset and said 'why isn't it me? I've had my life?'  Honestly, my poor nan,  Although she's 92, she's been through the mill - she lost my grampy when he'd just retired in 1986 and has been on her own since.  Then mum was diagnosed with cancer in 2003, I was diagnosed with cancer in 2008, her son was diagnosed with cancer in 2011 and she nursed him at her home until he sadly passed away just three months later, and two months ago my auntie (her other daughter) had a stroke, and now me again.  Crikey.  Life really does throw some shit around to some families.

Anyway, mum and dad went off to Cornwall and Timmy and I got ourselves ready for the New Year's Eve party.  Timmy was going as one of the Beastie Boys and I was just going in day-glo neon with terrible blue eye make up.  My list to take to Susie's was as follows: 



Note the second item on the list.... I tell you, when you hit 40 it's just non-stop rock and roll fun!  Anyway, we had a totally awesome night - the boys dressed as an array of 80s characters (including Barry Gibb, hilarious).  We had fireworks, pulled pork, twister, LOTS of prosecco, dancing, the mannequin challenge.  




There were a couple of times during the night where I checked in with myself and wondered if I was forcing fun on myself in the circumstances, but actually, no, apart from the pain which I'm still in, I was genuinely having a great time.  Now, the buggers made me laugh so hard that I think my sternum may have cracked even further and I was in a lot of pain, but it was just sooooo much fun.  

Midnight struck and I wonder what 2017 will bring, but no matter what, I'm bringing you along for the ride. 



Happy New Year people. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.